Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sometime during the long, long winter, I was walking to school on ice-covered sidewalks, trying my hardest not to fall on my face and daydreaming about the times when I didn't have to shuffle my way along sidewalks that apparently never get cleared. On this particular day, I was listening to one of CBC's Q Podcasts which featured an interview with the creators of the 100 Mile Diet. I was completely surprised at both how obvious the idea seemed and at how, despite being completely obvious, it was not something I had ever considered before. After doing a bit of research on Southern Alberta to see what kind of resources I would have for locally grown and produced foods when I moved back for the summer, I found that this area is full of Famers' Markets, U-Picks, and fresh fruit/vegetable/meat producers. It was decided. While I'm not going to try to eat a strictly local diet, I am going to dedicate this summer to supporting local producers and growers while exploring the huge variety of fresh produce and locally made products that are so abundant in Southern Alberta. I hope to spark an interest in others to participate as well - and ask that if you have any tips or suggestions to share them with me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment