Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Vegetable Dumplings



I was skimming through some blogs to try and find the perfect recipe to use the vegetables we bought at the Lethbridge Farmer's Market - and I'm not being dramatic when I say perfect, because the carrots and peas were so delicious on their own, I was having second thoughts about cooking them up!

Then I saw the Vegetable Dumpling recipe at Smitten Kitchen  and had to try it out. I changed the recipe a little bit, omitting the tofu, red peppers and cilantro(uggh) and adding fresh green peas. I wasn't sure how to fold the wonton wrapper, so I found some youtube videos that gave me a good enough idea. I was so impressed with the outcome - they were absolutely delicious! I froze half of them, hoping to eat them throughout the summer, but the are already gone. 


 

Vegetable Dumplings 

(Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1/2 cup fresh green peas
1/2 cup coarsely grated carrots
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
2 minced cloves garlic 
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
35 to 40 small wonton wrappers
1/3 cup water

Add the peas, carrots, cabbage, scallions, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin, sesame oil, egg, salt, and pepper. Lightly stir to combine.

To form the dumplings, remove 1 wonton wrapper from the package, covering the others with a damp cloth. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with water. Place 1/2 rounded teaspoon of the tofu mixture in the center of the wrapper. Shape as desired. Set on a sheet pan and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat procedure until all of the filling is gone.

Heat a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat. Brush with vegetable oil once hot. Add 8 to 10 potstickers at a time to the pan and cook for 2 minutes, without touching. Once the 2 minutes are up, gently add 1/3 cup chicken stock to the pan, turn the heat down to low, cover, and cook for another 2 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment